India needs a comprehensive and integrated action plan on marine litter
October 18, 2021
Plastic packaging constitutes an estimated 59 percent share in India's total plastic consumption, amounting to about 10 million tonnes every year. Considering a steady growth forecast for the pharmaceuticals, fast moving consumer goods (FMCG), and e-commerce sectors, this figure is expected to rise further. India's net plastic consumption is estimated to have increased by around 20 times as compared to 1990. It is expected to see a further upturn with an increase in its demand by approximately 52 percent by 2025.
New advanced oxidation technology can enhance waste water reuse at lower cost
August 25, 2021 |
August 25, 2021
TERI has developed a technology called the Advanced Oxidation Technology or TADOX which can reduce less dependence and load on biological and tertiary treatment systems and help achieve zero liquid discharge.
Trash turns into treasure in new plastic economy
August 7, 2021 |
August 13, 2021
According to the study by TERI, out of the total polymer consumption of 16.8 million tonnes per annum in 2018-19, 90% was for plastic and the remaining 10% was for non-plastic consumption. From the total plastic waste generated, about 60% is actually recycled, 8.5% reutilized for energy recovery and repurposing, and about 31.5% is mismanaged plastic waste.
E-waste: A Growing Problem
May 30, 2021 |
May 30, 2021
According to Dr Suneel Pandey, Director, Environment & Waste Management division, TERI, even as legislation and rules have come a long way and evolved over time, bringing smaller players under the extended producer responsibility (EPR) net is a challenge and that is where the government needs to work on an incentive mechanism.
In Last Seven Months, India Generated Around 33,000 Tonnes COVID-19 Waste, Maharashtra Biggest Contributor: Report
January 12, 2021 |
January 12, 2021
Swachh India NDTV
According to Mr Sourabh Manuja, Fellow, Centre for Waste Management, Environment & Waste Management Division at TERI, our cities need appropriate training and capacity building along with the infrastructure to manage the bio-medical waste they generate, including domestic hazardous waste.
The environmental challenge posed by cigarette butt litter
January 9, 2021
| Hindustan Times
Cellulose acetate-based cigarette filter is considered the world's most littered form of plastic. With close to 4.5 trillion butts polluting the global environment, this form of litter accounts for close to 26,454 tonnes of waste generated annually in India. Though one of the neglected waste streams, Oceans Conservancy, an international advocacy group, categorised cigarette butts as second among the top three articles collected during beach clean-ups globally.