The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) is an independent, not-for-profit, knowledge-driven institute dedicated to advancing transition towards a cleaner and sustainable future.
In its journey of 50 years, TERI has shown unparalleled dedication to multidisciplinary research, advocacy, and development of policies and technologies in energy, energy efficiency transitions, sustainable agriculture, eco-friendly transportation, sustainable development, efficient building practices, and climate action.
A leader in innovation and visionary approach, TERI is committed to identifying measures and intervention towards green solutions since it started as TATA Energy Research Institute in 1974. Over the years, we have expanded beyond conventional and renewable energy sources too, actively exploring cleaner alternatives besides engaging passionately in addressing climate-related issues, corporate social responsibility (CSR), and a host of other critical areas of concern.
Backed by rigorous research, active engagement in policy formulation, capacity building, development of innovative technologies, and the implementation of on-the-ground projects, TERI today is widely acknowledged for making a tangible difference in the world.
We take immense pride in developing ourselves into an organisation which is influencing policymakers to grassroots workers in rural India and providing localised solutions with global vision.
Headquartered in New Delhi, we have regional centres and campuses in Gurugram, Bengaluru, Guwahati, Mumbai, Panaji, and Nainital. Our 750-plus team of scientists, economists, sociologists and engineers delivers insightful, high-quality action-oriented research and transformative solutions supported by state- of-the-art infrastructure. As we gear up for the next 50 years, TERI is determined to carry forward the legacy of its multidisciplinary approach, of providing holistic solutions, and playing a pivotal role in crafting eco-friendly and equitable solutions for India and neighbouring countries.
TERI’s mission is to usher transitions to a cleaner and sustainable future through the conservation and efficient use of energy and other resources, and innovative ways of minimizing and reusing waste.
We pursue our mission by working towards the following key goals:
- Enhancing access to clean energy for all
- Helping a global transition to renewable energy pathways
- Enhance energy efficiency, especially in industries, public utilities and buildings
- Facilitating more efficient use of materials, especially iron and cement
- Enhancing conservation, utilization of and access to water, including watershed management
- Enabling the planning and governance of environmentally sustainable cities through green buildings and through management of solid waste, sewage, sanitation, mobility and air quality
- Building resilience to adverse impacts of climate change due to cyclones and variations in hydrology and temperature
- Accelerating pollution abatement through innovative policies and environment treatment products
- Enhancing ecosystem services, especially in forestry and biodiversity
- Developing green mobility solutions
- Enabling sustainable food production and nutritional security through quality planting material, bio-based agricultural inputs and crop diversification
- Developing innovative solutions for clean air, regionally and in cities
Our success of over four decades is a result of a multitude of approaches:
- Interdisciplinary and integrated research and analyses
- Evidence and data based decision making
- Taking solutions from lab to pilot and field scale
- Early validation of business models
- Enhancing livelihood through new technologies and practices
- Policy advisory and consultancy
- Education and outreach to influence decisions and consumer behavior
- Capacity building and handholding of stakeholders
- Partnerships across stakeholders, nationally and internationally
In all the work that we do, we fulfill one or more of the following promises: