We are an independent, multi-dimensional organization, with capabilities in research, policy, consultancy and implementation. We are innovators and agents of change in the energy, environment, climate change and sustainability space, having pioneered conversations and action in these areas for over four decades.
We believe that resource efficiency and waste management are the keys to smart, sustainable and inclusive development. Our work across sectors is focused on
- Promoting efficient use of resources
- Increasing access and uptake of sustainable inputs and practices
- Reducing the impact on environment and climate
Our research, and research based solutions have had a transformative impact on industry as well as communities. We have fostered international collaboration on sustainability action by creating a number of platforms and forums. We do this by translating our research into technology products, technical services, as well as policy advisory and outreach.
Headquartered in New Delhi, we have regional centres and campuses in Gurugram, Bengaluru, Guwahati, Mumbai, Panaji , and Nainital. Our 1200-plus team of scientists, sociologists, economists and engineers delivers insightful, high quality action-oriented research and transformative solutions supported by state- of-the-art infrastructure.
Our mission is to usher transitions to a cleaner and sustainable future through the conservation and efficient use of Earth's resources and innovative ways of minimizing and reusing waste.
We pursue our mission by working towards the following key goals:
- Enhancing access to clean energy for all
- Helping a global transition to renewable energy pathways
- Enhance energy efficiency, especially in industries, public utilities and buildings
- Facilitating more efficient use of materials, especially iron and cement
- Enhancing conservation, utilization of and access to water, including watershed management
- Enabling the planning and governance of environmentally sustainable cities through green buildings and through management of solid waste, sewage, sanitation, mobility and air quality
- Building resilience to adverse impacts of climate change due to cyclones and variations in hydrology and temperature
- Accelerating pollution abatement through innovative policies and environment treatment products
- Enhancing ecosystem services, especially in forestry and biodiversity
- Developing green mobility solutions
- Enabling sustainable food production and nutritional security through quality planting material, bio-based agricultural inputs and crop diversification
- Developing innovative solutions for clean air, regionally and in cities
Our success of over four decades is a result of a multitude of approaches:
- Interdisciplinary and integrated research and analyses
- Evidence and data based decision making
- Taking solutions from lab to pilot and field scale
- Early validation of business models
- Enhancing livelihood through new technologies and practices
- Policy advisory and consultancy
- Education and outreach to influence decisions and consumer behavior
- Capacity building and handholding of stakeholders
- Partnerships across stakeholders, nationally and internationally
In all the work that we do, we fulfill one or more of the following promises: