World Sustainable Development Summit 2019
WSDS is India's imprint to the global sustainability footprint. WSDS now strives to provide long-term solutions for the benefit of the global community by assembling the world's most enlightened leaders and thinkers on a single platform. The United Nations, in its roadmap to Climate Summit 2019, has recognized WSDS 2019 as one of the key milestones leading up to the United Nations Secretary General's Climate Summit on 23 September 2019.
Themed on 'Attaining the 2030 Agenda: delivering on our promise', the Summit seeks to create action frameworks to resolve some of the most urgent challenges facing developing economies. Know more about our themes and sessions:
Download the WSDS 2019 App and stay updated:
An assembly of global decision makers
- WSDS 2019 to be inaugurated by Hon'ble Vice President of India, Mr. Venkaiah Naidu
- The Summit will host Ms Chandrika Kumaratunga, Former President, Sri Lanka and President, World Leadership Alliance - Club de Madrid
- Mr Jeffrey D. Sachs, Director, Center for Sustainable Development, Columbia University
- Mr Vidar Helgesen, Special Envoy for the Ocean, The Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Mr Ola Elvestuen, Hon'bleMinister of Climate and Environment, Norway
- Ms Naina Lal Kidwai, Former Group General Manager & Country Head of HSBC India
- Mr John Roome, Senior Director, Climate Change, World Bank
- Prof. Nicholas Stern, Chair of the Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment at London School of Economics
Over 2000 delegates are expected to participate in the summit, including policy makers, researchers, think tanks, diplomats and corporates from around the world. These delegates represent leaders in the development, energy, and environment sectors.
Know WSDS International Steering Committee members:
- Preety M Bhandari, Director, Sustainable Development & Climate Change Department, Asian Development Bank (ADB)
- Kazuhiko Takeuchi, President, Institute for Global Environmental Studies (IGES), Japan
- Ms Frances Beinecke, Dorothy S. McCluskey Fellow in Conservation at Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies & Former President at Natural Resources Defense Council
- Dr. Suman Bery, Former Chief Economist Strategy and Business Environment, Shell International Limited
- Mr Fatih Birol, Executive Director, International Energy Agency
- Mr Yvo de Boer, Former Director General, Global Green Growth Institute, Korea & Former Executive Secretary, UNFCCC
- Ms Rachel Kyte, Chief Executive Officer of Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL), and Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for Sustainable Energy for All
- Dr. Andrew Steer, President and CEO, World Resources Institute
- Mr Arne Walther, Former Secretary General of International Energy Forum & former Chairman, International Energy Agency
- Neeraj Prasad, Practice Manager, Carbon Markets and Innovation, World Bank
Reaffirming TERI's position as a key driver of thought and action on sustainability
TERI in its journey of 18 years has become a focal point for global leaders and practitioners to congregate at a single platform to discuss and deliberate over climatic issues of universal importance. WSDS is possibly the only global platform in a developing country – a matter of pride for India.
47 Heads of State and government, 13 Nobel Laureates, ministers from over 76 countries, over 1600 business leaders, 1800+ speakers and over 12,000 delegates from across the world have participated in the previous summits.
Multiple formats that allow for structured discussions
WSDS 2019 strives to provide long-term solutions for the benefit of the global community by assembling the world's leaders and thinkers on a single platform with multiple formats. The summit programme offers a wide variety of participatory options.
- Plenary sessions - Eminent international speakers will address issues, such as reducing impacts on land, air and water, as well as utilising energy and resources in a more efficient manner.
- Thematic tracks - Discussions on niche issues related to sustainability including Carbon Markets and Pricing, Sustainable Transport, Resilient Cities.
- Greenovation 2019 - An exhibition for global players to showcase cutting-edge technologies and design solutions as part of the sustainability revolution.
- Sustainable Development Leadership Award - Awarded every year since 2005 to an eminent global leader, felicitating their contributions in the field of sustainable development.
Carbon Pricing Leadership Coalition Research Conference - 14-15 February, 2019
The CPLC Research Conference follows on the heels of the 2019 edition of the World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS) and is convened by the Carbon Pricing Leadership Coalition (CPLC). The Carbon Pricing Leadership Coalition (CPLC) - hosted by the World Bank Group - is an international advocacy coalition of governments, businesses, and civil society organizations aiming to address climate change and contribute to global sustainable development through widespread carbon pricing.
The Conference aims to build a better understanding of the existing carbon pricing knowledge base by bringing together over 30 researchers and 300 participants. The research from both modelling carbon pricing approaches and their real-world implementation will help bridge the existing gap between theory and practice and inform future decisions taken by policymakers and corporate leaders.
For more details and to register, log onto: https://www.carbonpricingleadership.org/research-conference/