TERI-ITEC Courses 2010-11 Course V - Decentralized energy solutions - planning and implementation
TERI is empanelled by the ITEC (Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation)/SCAAP (Special Commonwealth African Assistance Programme), Government of India, for conducting this programme. Following seven courses are being offered under this programme for the year 2010/11.
- Course I - Integrated approach towards sustainable development
- Course II - Applications of Biotechnology and its Regulation
- Course III - Designing and implementing solar energy based livelihood projects for rural communities
- Course IV - Climate change and sustainability
- Course V - Decentralized energy solutions - planning and implementation
- Course VI - Trade and Sustainable Development: issues for developing countries
- Course VII - Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency
Each course is a three week residential programme held in India wherein participants from other developing countries attend the course. The courses are designed to meet the needs of senior, mid-career government and non-government officials from ITEC/SCAAP countries.
Advantages of attending the course
- Increased understanding of various dimensions of each programme.
- Dissemination of practical knowledge to the participants is facilitated through demonstrations and field visits.
- Wider exposure to India as the course lectures are complemented by study tours.
Bachelor's degree in any discipline; work experience of 1-2 years
Number of participants - 30
The course aims at sensitizing participants on decentralized generation (DG) technologies and to study the extent to which DG can fill the demand-supply gap created by the limitation of grid extension. It focuses on rural electrification issues, renewable energy and distributed power sources, DG technologies and options for village electrification, scientific assessment of renewable energy resources, use of decision making tools and software for designing village electrification projects.
The course would broadly cover:
- Basics of different sources and forms of energy
- Electricity distribution technologies and DG technology options for village electrification
- Rural electrification related issues and challenges
- Status of existing (biomass, solar, hydro, wind etc) as well as emerging technologies
- Policies related to renewable energy and DG
- Tools and techniques for collection, analysis of data in designing village electrification project
- Resource assessment
- Pre project appraisal and techno economic analysis of various technology options
- Design of mini grid in village clusters and scope of renewables- hybrid generation
- Solar PV power plant - issues and challenges
- Biomass gasifier based power generation - issues and challenges
- Small hydro technology - issues and challenges
- Mainstreaming renewable energy based DG programmes
- Successful case studies, performance and impact of distributed generation projects implemented in India and abroad.
The programme is targeted to train energy professionals in design and implementation for a decentralized village electrification programme. It will inform participants about the national and international scenario of village electrification, equipping them effectively for independent implementation. The participants would acquire knowledge and skills in the essentials of any successful programme: design and planning, resources assessment, benefit/cost analysis, implementation, monitoring and evaluation. After the training programme, the participants would have a working knowledge of various distributed generation options and their cost economics for providing access to electricity in rural areas.
The cost of the course, travel, and stay of the selected participant will be borne by ITEC (Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation, Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India).
Fill up the ITEC/SCAAP application form and submit it to the nodal government department/agency designated to nominate candidates. The nodal department/agency will in turn forward the applications to the Embassy/High Commission of India. Selected participants will be informed by the Indian embassy of the respective ITEC/SCAAP country.
The hostel accommodation for the participants will be on sharing basis in the TERI RETREAT/TERI University.
TERI RETREAT, a training complex, a 35-minute drive from the heart of Delhi and is located in Gual Pahari, Gurgaon, away from the bustle of the city. This 36-hectare training complex is a demonstration of sustainable, green, and productive habitat created through application of scientific methods and technique.
The TERI University campus is an architectural delight planned to provide a setting that enhances learning, while simultaneously showcasing the concept of modern green buildings. The University has a state of the art laboratory, library, and well-equipped IT resource centre.
For further information, please contact
|ITEC Coordinator||Course Coordinator|
|Ms Swati Ganeshan
Science and Technology
Resources and Global Security Division
The Energy and Resources Institute
Darbari Seth Block, IHC Complex, Lodhi Road
New Delhi 110 003, India
Tel. +91-11-2468 2100, 4150 4900
Fax +91-11-2468 2144, 2468 2145
Mr Rakesh Prasad