There are several challenges that the world is facing today, like climate change, lack of access to clean water and sanitation, energy crisis, food insecurity and other environmental and societal challenges. Since the formal adoption of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in 2015, governments and Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) have been calling out to youth for a meaningful participation in decision making and implementation of post 2015 agenda1. According to UN World Youth Report 2018, close to 90% of global youth are living in developing countries, where they make up a large proportion of the total population. It is therefore, pertinent to reach out to this demographic dividend so that when the country strides forward in achieving goals of economic development, there is a responsible work force that can balance it with environmentally conscious and socially responsible values. Additionally, in India, the University Grants Commission (UGC) has mandated all the universities and other educational institutions to implement environmental studies as part of the curriculum of all the undergraduate courses such that instilling environmental awareness will trigger a concern to transcend a path of sustainability, keeping in mind important pillars of social justice and economic viability.
Against this background, The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), actively engages with youth through its different ESD (Education for Sustainable Development) programmes, such that students seeking higher education get well versed with knowledge on environment and sustainable development before being recruited for important decision making positions in their careers. One such programme is GO4Youth, initiated in 2020, as a spinoff of another successful activity for school children, popularly known as GREEN Olympiad (GO).
REGISTER FOR GO4YOUTH
GO4Youth is an online examination comprising of multiple choice questions that tests the environment knowledge, aptitude and attitude of students. This examination aspires to address mandated environmental studies for undergraduate courses in India and is a step in a direction to achieve SDG 4 (Quality Education) Target 7. A few indicative issues covered by GO4Youth 2021 are; importance of environment studies renewal and non-renewal resources, ecosystems and food chains, biodiversity and its conservation, sources of pollution, solid waste management, disaster management, sustainable development, urban problems, climate & global warming, legislative environmental acts and human welfare and environment. In addition to these, questions to assess students’ environment quotient related to personal choices and behavioural assessment will also be included. Second in the series, GO4Youth 2021 invites applications from youth across the world to participate in the online examination.
Guidelines for Registration
- Students who are pursuing graduate or post graduate courses from institutions of higher learning and who are within the age bracket of 18-23 years are eligible to apply for this online examination.
- Only individual registrations from students will be accepted.
- Unique e-mail ID is required for each participant because all further communications will be shared individually, on their respective, registered e-mail IDs only.
GO 4 Youth examination is divided into the following 2 sections:
Sections Questions Number of questions Score Section I Logical, reasoning, behavioral assessment, and application based questions 30 60 Section II Subject matter questions 20 40
- Duration of the examination is only 30 minutes and the language will be English.
- Students who wish to register for the examination should choose a convenient slot from the application form. A username and password will be issued to each applicant, so as to take the examination from anywhere at their convenience. However, applicants can appear only on the designated slot/time, which cannot be changed in any circumstances.
- After filling and submitting your application, the page will automatically take you to the payment gateway, where the applicant can pay the registration fees of INR 150/- (non-refundable) through any available mode of online transaction. A system generated receipt will also be sent to the applicant’s registered e-mail id on successful completion of registration.
- Result will be published on this website (www.teriin.org/olympiad) after the examination. Each participant will receive e-Certificate (Distinction/Merit/Participation as per the marks scored by them) and the same can be downloaded from the website through their allotted username and password.
- GO4Youth examination will be held from 17 – 19 August in your preferred time slot.
- Last date for registration is 31 July 2021. Applications received after the due date will not be considered.