TERI's Solar Lighting Laboratory works towards finding high quality, reliable, and cost effective solutions for solar lighting.
Started in 2007, this laboratory has been testing solar lighting products and evaluating their on-field performance focused on the rural market, conducting technical training programs and research in design and customization of solar lighting products to suit the needs of the rural user base.
TERI's Solar Lighting Laboratory is accredited by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) Government of India and National Accreditation Board for Laboratories (NABL).The sophisticated equipment and test setup that is used for testing lighting products in the laboratory are calibrated by National Physical Laboratory (NPL) or NABL accredited calibration laboratories. TERI's Solar Lighting Laboratory is also one of the unique laboratories in India to adhere to the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) standards for the testing of solar lighting systems (SLS) and the first laboratory in India which has got the recognition under the Lighting Global programme of International Finance Corporation (IFC) (IEC is an international body that sets standards for all electrical, electronic and related technologies throughout the world).
Today, the Solar Lighting Laboratory works on 3 thematic areas: Testing, Training, and Projects related to Solar Lighting Programs. The laboratory’s facility is available for testing and long term performance assessment of various lighting systems (both general lighting and solar based lighting) and also for carrying out various training programmes for different target groups. So far, SLL has tested more than 150 models of the solar lighting systems including Solar Lanterns, Solar Home Lighting Systems, Solar Task Lights and Multipurpose Solar Lights. SLL has also collaboration with more than 10 industry partners and research organizations for developing cost effective solar lighting systems. We have developed modules and delivered trainings on the technical aspects of installation, maintenance and repair of solar lighting systems. Additionally, all these services have also been provided to the Lighting a Billion Lives Programme © for which the Lab has developed performance specifications, carried out testing and approval of products, developed technical and user manuals and delivered technical training programmes.
Currently, TERI's Solar Lighting Laboratory is located in the TERI University campus in Vasant Kunj, New Delhi. The lab therefore also caters to the student community and has a regular inflow of undergraduate and postgraduate students who are pursuing research on solar lighting technologies.
We provide testing and certification for the solar modules, luminaires, batteries and charge controller as per the national and international standards.
Contact us for the more information.
- Accredited by The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) for testing and long term performance assessment of solar lighting systems.
- Accredited by National Accreditation Board for Laboratories (NABL) for testing and long term performance assessment of solar lighting systems.
- Affiliated to IFC's Global Lighting Programme, for testing and quality assurance of the off-grid-lighting products.
- Tested more than 150 models of solar lighting systems including solar lanterns, solar Home Lighting Systems and Solar Task Lights and Multipurpose Solar Lights.
- Conducted several training programmes in India, Africa and South East Asia.
- Collaborated with more than 10 industry partners and research organizations for developing new generation, cost effective solar lighting systems