Mr C Dasgupta
Distinguished Fellow EmeritusMr Dasgupta, an alumnus of Delhi University had an illustrious diplomatic career as an officer with Indian Foreign Service officer from 1962 until his retirement in 2000. As Distinguished Fellow at TERI he is engaged with research on Climate Change and other global environmental issues.
During his diplomatic career Mr Dasgupta held several important posts, including the following:
- Ambassador to the EU, Belgium and Luxembourg (1996-2000);
- Ambassador to China (1993-1996);
- Led the Indian delegation in the negotiations leading up to UNFCCC and the Rio Summit (1992) and served as a vice-chairman of the preparatory committees for both UNFCCC and UNCED.
- Additional Secretary, Ministry of External Affairs (1989-1993);
- Ambassador & Deputy Permanent Representative at the United Nations,
- New York (1986-1989);
- High Commissioner in Tanzania (1984-1986);
- High Commissioner in Singapore (1981-1983).
In 2008, Mr Dasgupta was awarded the Padma Bhushan in recognition of his distinguished service in the field of Civil Services.