Mr S Vijay Kumar
S. Vijay Kumar joined the Indian Administrative Service in 1976 with a Masters degree in Mathematics. He has served in various positions in the Central Government and in his State Cadre, Himachal Pradesh, where he has held District, Divisional and State level positions dealing with land, personnel and police administration. He also had a 2 year stint, from 1980 to 1982, with the State Marketing Cooperative, managing agricultural input supply and marketing of agricultural and horticultural produce.
In the Central Govt, he has been Director, National Wastelands Development Mission, Ministry of Environment and Forest, 1986-91; Joint Secretary in charge of the Govt's flagship programme, the Prime Ministers Rural Roads programme (called PMGSY), 2002-05; Additional Secretary and Secretary, Ministry of Mines 2008-11, and finally, Secretary Ministry of Rural Development till his retirement in Sept 2013.
S. Vijay Kumar's notable achievements include:
- Drafting the Integrated Watershed Development Programme (IWDP) Guidelines in 1991
- Publication of a 3 vol. "Handbook on Personnel Matters" for the State Govt, 1994
- Land records computerisation in Himachal Pradesh,1996-98
- Drafting the Operations Manual for the PM's Rural roads programme (incorporating environmental and social safeguards) and negotiating loans from World Bank ($400 mill.) and ADB ($500 mill.), 2004
- Drafting and piloting till enactment, of the reformist Himachal Pradesh Police Act, 2007
- Chairing the Committee on restructuring of the Geological Survey of India, 2008-09
- Drafting and piloting till Cabinet approval, the Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Bill, 2011
- Development of the "Sustainable Development Framework" for the Minerals sector, 2011
- Member, Committee on allocation of Natural Resources under chairmanship of Secretary Economic Affairs, 2011
- Member, Planning Commission Committee to draft the "National Manufacturing Plan", 2011
- Chairman, Planning Commission Working Group on the Mineral Sector, for the XII Plan, 2011
- Development of Guidelines for the Prime Minister's Rural Development Fellows Scheme; "Aajeevika" skill development scheme for BPL youth; Indira Aawas Yojana; and for the follow-on programme to the rural roads programme; during 2012-13.