Dr Rajendra K Pachauri
Rajendra K Pachauri, Ph.D., is an internationally recognized leader on environmental and energy issues and their policy dimensions.
As CEO of New Delhi-based TERI (The Energy and Resources Institute), Dr. Pachauri oversees a staff of more than 1,200 employees engaged in the research and development of solutions to global problems in the fields of energy, environment and current patterns of development.
Dr Pachauri is also Chairman of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), the world's leading intergovernmental organization for the assessment of climate change. Dr Pachauri, who serves on a voluntary basis, was elected Chairman in 2002 and reelected by acclamation in 2008.
Based in Geneva, the IPCC was established by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) in 1988 to provide the world with internationally coordinated scientific assessments of the magnitude, timing and potential environmental and socio-economic impacts of climate change and potential response strategies. The IPCC, along with former U.S. Vice President Al Gore, was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007.
Dr Pachauri is an economist and industrial engineer by training and has held numerous academic posts in addition to his work with TERI and the IPCC. He has co-authored above 130 papers, a large number of which are peer-reviewed, and written or co-written 27 books, most of them about energy and the environment, including the following representative sample:
- India's Youth and the Challenge of Sustainable Development. R Venkataraman : A Centenary Tribute. Rupa Publications India Pvt. Ltd. 2012. 172-178 pp.
- Business unusual: championing corporate social responsibility, Volume 2. R K Pachauri (ed.), The Energy and Resources Institute, New Delhi, 2007.
- Petroleum Pricing in India: balancing efficiency and equity. Neha Misra, Ruchika Chawla, Leena Srivastava and R K Pachauri, The Energy and Resources Institute, New Delhi, 2005.
- Looking Back to Think Ahead: GREEN India 2047 (Growth with Resource Enhancement of Environment and Nature), R K Pachauri and P V Sridharan (eds.), Tata Energy Research Institute, New Delhi, 1998.
- Climate Change in Asia & Brazil: The Role of Technology Transfer, R K Pachauri and Preety Bhandari (eds.), Tata Energy Research Institute, New Delhi, 1994.
- Global Warming: Collaborative Study on Strategies to Limit CO2 emissions in Asia and Brazil, R K Pachauri and Preety Bhandari (eds.), Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Co Ltd, New Delhi, 1992.
- Energy and Economic Development in India, Praeger Publishers, New York, 1977.
- The Dynamics of Electrical Energy Supply and Demand: An Economic Analysis, Praeger Publishers, New York, 1975.
- Ph.D., Co-majors in Industrial Engineering and Economics, North Carolina State University (1974)
- Master's, Industrial Engineering, North Carolina State University (USA) (1972)
- Graduate of the Institution of Production Engineers, London
- Graduate of the Indian Railways Institute of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering in Jamalpur, Bihar
- Graduate of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, London
- Intermediate, La Martiniere College in Lucknow, India
- Doctorate of Engineering by Universiti Tenaga Nasional (UNITEN), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa) by Mangalayatan University, Aligarh, India
- Le Titre De Docteur (Honoris Causa) by Universite De Reims Champagne-Ardenne, France
- "Doctor of Sciences" by North Carolina State University, U.S.A.
- Doctor Honoris Causa by National University of Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
- Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa) by Loughborough University, UK
- Doctor Honoris Causa by University of Antwerp, Belgium
- Doctor of Science by Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum, Karnataka, India
- Professeur Honoris Causa by HEC, Paris, France
- Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa) by Gustavus Adolphus College, Minnesota, USA
- Doctor Honoris Causa by University of Athens, Greece
- Doctor of Humane Letters by Brandeis University, USA
- Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa)" by Illinois Institute of Technology, USA
- Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa) by University of Kalyani, India
- Doctor of Science by the University of Warwick, UK
- Doctor of Literature (Honoris Causa) by Jadavpur University, India
- Doctor of Science Honoris Causa by The University of New South Wales, Australia
- Doctor of Science Honoris Causa by Rani Durgavati Vishwavidyalaya, Jabalpur, India
- Doctor Honoris Causa" by the University of Liege, Belgium
- Doctor of Science, honoris causa (ScD) by University of East Anglia, UK
- Doctor of Science" by Kumaun University, India
- Doctor of Humane Letters by Yale University, USA
- Doctorate degree for his achievements by Ritsumeikan University, Japan
Dr Pachauri has held numerous academic positions and was the Founding Director of the Yale (University) Climate and Energy Institute (YCEI) from July 2009 through June 2012, following which he was appointed Senior Adviser to YCEI. He is also currently Professor in the Practice of Sustainable Development at the Yale School of Forestry & Environment Studies, Honorary Professor of the University of Eastern Finland, and Chancellor of TERI University. His former academic posts include:
Recognizing his knowledge and experience in the energy-environment field, the United Nations Development Programme appointed him as part-time adviser to its Administrator in the fields of energy and sustainable management of natural resources (1994-99).
- Professor and Chair in Energy Economics at Universiti Tenaga Nasional (UNITEN), Malaysia (2009 to 2010)
- Distinguished Professor, Ritsumeikan University, Japan (April 1, 2007 - March 31, 2009)
- McCluskey Fellow and Member of Faculty at the School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, Yale University (2000);Visiting Research Fellow, The World Bank, Washington, D.C. (1990);
- Senior Visiting Fellow, Resource Systems Institute, East-West Center, USA (1982);
- Visiting Professor, Resource Economics, at West Virginia University (1981 to 1982);
- Member, Senior Faculty (1975 to 1979), Director, Consulting and Applied Research Division, (1979 to 1981), Administrative Staff College of India, Hyderabad
- Assistant Professor (1974 to 1975) and Visiting Faculty Member (Summer, 1976 and 1977) in the Department of Economics and Business, North Carolina State University
Committees and Boards (current)
Dr Pachauri serves on a variety of committees and boards:
International Committees and Boards (former)
- Member, Clinton Global Initiative, USA (2013)
- Member, Advisory Board, Clinton Climate Initiative, USA (January 2010 onwards)
- Chair of the Iwokrama Board of Trustees of the Iwokrama International Centre for Rainforest Conservation and Development founded by The Commonwealth Secretariat and the Government of Guyana (2012 onwards)
- Member of the Steering Committee, The Urban Climate Change Research Network (UCCRN), the Earth Institute, Columbia University, for the Second Assessment Report on Climate Change and Cities, (2012 onwards)
- Member, Board of Trustees, India Development Foundation (IDF), Gurgaon, India (2010 onwards)
- Member of a High Level Panel on Peace and Dialogue among Cultures, UNESCO, France (2009 onwards)
- Member of the International Advisory Council for the King Abdullah Petroleum Studies & Research Center (KAPSARC), Saudi Arabia (2009 onwards)
- Special Advisor to the Energy for All Partnership, Asian Development Bank (ADB), (2009 onwards)
- Board Member of the Governing Council of the Youth4Gandhi Foundation, India (2009 onwards)
- Member, Governing Board, UNESCO International Science, Technology and Innovation Centre for South-South Cooperation (ISTIC), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (2008 onwards)
- Member, International Advisory Board, World Energy Congress 2013, Daegu, Korea (2007 onwards)
- Member, Prime Minister's Advisory Council on Climate Change (2007 onwards)
- Member, Advisory Committee for National Disaster Management Authority, Government of India (2007 onwards)
- Vice President of the Bangalore International Centre (2005 onwards)
- Chairman of the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway Heritage Foundation (1999)
- President, Asian Energy Institute (1992 onwards)
- Life Fellow, The National Academy of Sciences, India
- Member, Governing Council, India Habitat Centre (1987 onwards)
India National Committees and Boards (former)
- Board member of the Global Humanitarian Forum (founded by the former United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan) (2007 to 2010)
- Adviser, International Advisory Board, Toyota Motor Corporation, Japan (2006 to 2009)
- Member of the Board of Directors (1999 to 2012) and Member of the Board of Directors (1997 to 1999) of the Institute for Global Environmental Strategies, Environmental Agency, Government of Japan
- Member, World Resources Institute Council (1992)
- Member, Board of the International Solar Energy Society (1991 to 1996)
- President and Chairman, International Association for Energy Economics, Washington, D.C. (1988, 1989-90)
Awards and Recognition
- Board of Directors of the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (2006 to 2009)
- Board of Directors of the National Thermal Power Corporation Ltd (2006 to 2009)
- President of the India Habitat Centre, New Delhi (2004 to 2006)
- Board of Directors of GAIL (India) Ltd. (2003 to 2004)
- Board of Directors of National Thermal Power Corporation Ltd (2002 to 2005)
- Economic Advisory Council chaired by the Prime Minister of India (2001 to 2004)
- Board of Directors of the Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. (1999 to 2003)
- Strategic Planning Group on Restructuring Oil Industry, ('R' Group), Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (1994-1996)
- National Environmental Council, under the Chairmanship of the Prime Minister (1993 to 1996 and 1999-2004)
- Board of Governors, Shriram Scientific and Industrial Research Foundation (1987 to 1990)
- Member, Executive Committee (1985-2005) and Board of Trustees (2005-2009), India International Centre, New Delhi
- Advisory Board on Energy, reporting directly to the Prime Minister (1983 to 1988)
- Member, Court of Governors, Administrative Staff College of India (1979 to 1981)
- The Premio Pico Della Mirandola by the Findazione Cassa di Risparmio Di Mirandola (2013)
- The Sake of Honour Award by Rotary Club of Madras East (2013)
- The 'Green Crusader' award by the International Advertising Association, Mumbai (2012)
- Order of the "Aztec Eagle" by the President of Mexico (2012)
- 'Taru Lalvani Environment Award' by the Rotary Club of Bombay (2010)
- "Commander of the Order of the White Rose of Finland" by the Prime Minister of Finland (2010)
- "The Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star" by His Majesty Akihito, Emperor of Japan (2010)
- "The MEDays Award for Environment and Sustainable Development" by the Amadeus Institute, Rabat, Morocco (2010)
- "U Thant Award" for Promoting Awareness of Environment Sustainability to Advance Peace by The U Thant Institute, Inc., Connecticut (2010)
- "Commander of the Order of Leopold II" by the King of Belgians (2009)"
- Was placed 5th on the FP Top 100 Global Thinkers in 2009. The Foreign Policy Magazine came up with their list of global thinkers in 2009.
- Padma Vibhushan", India's second-highest civilian award, for his services in the field of science and engineering by the President of India (2008)
- "2007 Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Profession of Energy Economics and to its Literature" by the International Association for Energy Economics (IAEE) (2008)
- "2008 Climate Protection Award" by United States Environmental Protection Agency for Lifetime Achievement in Climate Protection (2008)
- IPCC under his Chairmanship along with former Vice President Al Gore have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize (2007)
- "Officier De La Légion D'Honneur" by the Government of France (2006)
- "Jawaharlal Nehru Birth Centenary Award" -at the 93rd Indian Science Congress. Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh presented the award at the inaugural session of the Congress in Hyderabad (2006)
- Padma Bhushan by the President of India for his contributions to the field of environment (2001)
- Millenium Pioneer Award - World Renewable Energy Network (2000)